Reporting to Government

Your Parent Association must report to government on your activities and finances. The mechanisms are different depending on whether your association is a registered charity or not.

Reporting requirements for associations which are not registered charities

After your AGM

  • Submit the Annual Return (AR form) to Access Canberra (formerly the Office of Regulatory Services). Attach your auditor's/reviewer's report and (for larger P&Cs) your Financial Statements (see Section 11 of Council’s P&C Treasurer’s Handbook). Note that there is no longer any fee for submitting this form if you do so within 6 months of the end of your financial year.

Other things to report

  • Changes to your Constitution, office bearers or public officer (during the year) must also be notified.

Reporting requirements for charities

After your AGM:

  • Complete an Annual Information Statement (AIS) for the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC) via their online portal.  This includes financial information and the names of people elected as office bearers (ACNC call them 'Responsible Persons' and these must match the office bearer positions named in your constitution. If they don't you can change the position titles in the Manage People section of the portal. Include the Public Officer).  **2020 COVID extension applied - August 31 is now the due date for AISs due between March 12 and August 30.
  • There is NO need to complete and submit an Annual Return (AR Form) to Access Canberra.

Other things to report

  • If there is a change to your office bearers at other times in the year, update the names of the Responsible People on the ACNC's online portal ('Manage People' section).
  • If there is a change to your Constitution, let both Access Canberra ('Change of rules or objects' form) and ACNC (upload the new constitution to the online portal).

Is my parent association a registered charity?

If you are a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC), you will have received regular correspondence from them. You can also check whether your association is a registered charity by entering your association name (or part of it) or ABN into this ABN Lookup. Click through to your entry and see if charity status is listed for your association.