2021 dates are yet to be advised.
Get essential information to help your P&C meet legal obligations, swell your ranks, function well, and stay on track.
From what the P&C is all about and your role in it, to the nitty-gritty of running meetings and handling difficult people, this series of online workshops is ideal for new and continuing presidents, secretaries and vice-presidents or any P&C member. There’s time for questions and some brain storming too!
This year we are offering two sessions:
PART 1: Roles, goals and responsibilities
- Role of the P&C - is your P&C a social, educational, advisory or fund rising body?
- Roles of officer bearers and handing over well
- Sub committees roles and responsibilities
- Obligations & regulations - P&C constitution, strategic planning, reporting to Government
- Financial management and insurance
PART 2: Communications, meetings, volunteers and fundraising
- Communicating with parents
- Attracting and retaining volunteers
- Managing meetings and difficult people
- Voting and role of the school principal
- Fundraising in a Covid world - a 30 minute brainstorm to end this session - bring your ideas and questions along!
For P&Cs which run small businesses such as canteens, there are always questions about employing staff and meeting your regulatory and legal obligations. This workshop focuses on this important area.
Plus! By popular demand! We've added a half hour discussion about reducing your canteen waste!
The session will cover:
- The P&C as an employer and the social enterprise model
- Management by subcommittees and accountability
- Employment issues, contracts, awards, regulations and safety
- P&C school canteens - tips and resources for success.
- Waste management in your canteen (8-8:30pm). With thanks to Judi Barton, Farrer Primary P&C President.
Learn all about the treasurer role and understand insurance at this informative workshop. Experienced P&C treasurers and Council’s own bookkeeper will be there to provide information, answer questions and discuss any concerns about your P&C finances. Essential for all treasurere. The workshop covers:
- basics of the treasurer role, record keeping and handling monies
- resources available to parent association treasurers
- legal and tax requirements, annual reports and audits
- financial controls
- accounting for P&C committees, such as canteens
- what your insurance covers and what is not covered
- risk assessment and valuing property
- how to complete and submit the insurance paperwork.
Your P&C's constitution is an important document and should guide the operation of your P&C. However, many committees find that their constitution is out of date, no longer reflects current practice and may not comply with the model structure.
This hands-on workshop is designed to help P&Cs review, rewrite or amend their constitutions. We will look at the Model rules for ACT association constitutions, the ACT Associations Incorporations Act, Council’s sample constitution for P&Cs and the process of passing an amended constitution through your P&C.
Attendees will be provided with the Access Canberra Change of Rules Form for amending constitutions and we will work through the specific content and wording required in your P&C constitution. We will also consider By Laws.
Workshop participants can bring their own P&C constitution to the workshop to work through (for a virtual meeting, feel free to send it through to us before the session).
P&C presidents and secretaries should attend but any P&C member is welcome.
This workshop will help treasurers prepare their accounts for a Financial Review, which is a legal requirement for all P&Cs. We'll show you what it's all about and what you'll need to gather together for your review as well as who can do it and managing the timing.
In response to difficulties in finding an affordable auditor/reviewer, we can also facilitate a 'Book Swap' for small P&Cs (gross receipts less than $400,000 pa) whereby two treasurers review each other's books to avoid paying for expensive auditors.
The resources from this training session are available for you to use.
Grant Writing Workshop
This hands-on workshop will help you win grants to fund P&C projects. We'll cover:
- available grants and how to find them (particular focus on Supporting Parent Engagement Grant Program that the ACT Education Directorate has announced)
- what grants can and can't be used for
- considerations when apply for and using grants
- writing a great application, including samples of successful and unsuccessful applications
- acquittal of funds and your obligations.
P&C presidents, secretaries, treasurers and fundraising co-ordinators should attend but any P&C member is welcome.