Early years parents seeking ways to connect with their school, P&C, or other families will appreciate the facilitating role of P&Cs. Building school connections can seem especially daunting for first-time parents, single parents or relocated families. P&Cs help provide a friendly point of contact for new school parents with young children.
Council encourages P&Cs to include a committee role for an early years parent representative. Download the 'EL parent rep' role description template for ideas of what this role might do at your P&C.
P&Cs can also:
- Share a parent resource like this 'EL reference guide' with your early years parent community,
- Call or email Council for assistance with communications ie flyers, brochures, or social media,
- Apply for grants to create a family 'welcome' kit' or activities for engaging with new families,
- Download a pre-designed invitation for volunteers,
- Provide multi-lingual resources for new parents ie 'why play is important':
Arabic (PDF: 395kb), Dari (PDF: 398kb), Dinka (PDF: 308kb), Hakha Chin (PDF: 301kb), Karen (PDF: 216kb), Persian (PDF: 197kb), Simplified Chinese (PDF: 329kb), Swahili (PDF: 304kb), Tamil (PDF: 705kb), Vietnamese (PDF: 322kb)
Council's Early Learning Subcommittee meets once per term and supports parents to have a role in their child’s early education and school community. The committee meets to promote parent engagement in early years learning, raise issues and share expertise. Join Council's Early Learning Subcommittee meeting.
Who can attend?
If you're a parent or carer with an interest in parent engagement and early years public education, or a P&C parent, you're welcome to attend. Meetings are held online, during week five of each term. Our next meeting is Thursday, November 16, 7.30-8.30pm, Register here to receive a link to join the meeting.
Previous meeting minutes are summarised here: ELSC minute summaries.
P&Cs can share their stories and expertise '...at our P&C'
- Role of the Preschool Parent Committee or parent representative
- Council resources for parent associations
- Handing over well
- Preschool Parent Associations (PPAs) that are considering becoming a subcommittee of their primary school P&C can download the PPA process guide to becoming a P&C subcommittee.