Early years parents seeking ways to connect with their school, P&C, or other families will appreciate the facilitating role of P&Cs. Building school connections can seem especially daunting for first-time parents, single parents or relocated families. P&Cs help provide a friendly point of contact for new school parents with young children.
Council encourages P&Cs to include a committee role for an early years parent representative. Download the 'EL parent rep' role description template for ideas of what this role might do at your P&C.
P&Cs can also:
- Ask Council for assistance with flyers, brochures, grants, or social media,
- Apply for funding to create a family 'welcome' kit' or plan for new families,
- Download a pre-designed invitation for volunteers,
- Download useful parent resources: EL reference guide of handy links to share,
- Consider joining Council's Early Learning Subcommittee, (meeting once per term),
- Provide multi-lingual resources for new parents ie 'why play is important':
Arabic (PDF: 395kb), Dari (PDF: 398kb), Dinka (PDF: 308kb), Hakha Chin (PDF: 301kb), Karen (PDF: 216kb), Persian (PDF: 197kb), Simplified Chinese (PDF: 329kb), Swahili (PDF: 304kb), Tamil (PDF: 705kb), Vietnamese (PDF: 322kb)
Early Learning Committee
Council's Early Learning Subcommittee meets once per term and supports parents to have a role in their child’s early education and school community. The committee meets to promote parent engagement in early years learning, raise issues and share expertise.
Who can attend?
If you're a parent or carer with an interest in parent engagement and early years public education, or a P&C parent, you're welcome to attend. Meetings are usually held online, during week 5 of each term. Our next meeting is Thursday, Aug 17, 7.30-8.30pm. Please Register here to receive a link (and reminder) to join the meeting.
Previous meeting minutes are summarised here: ELSC minute summaries.
P&Cs can share their stories and expertise '...at our P&C'
- Role of the Preschool Parent Committee or parent representative
- Council resources for parent associations
- Handing over well
- Preschool Parent Associations (PPAs) that are considering becoming a subcommittee of their primary school P&C can download the PPA process guide to becoming a P&C subcommittee.
*Coronavirus information for parents and parent associations