Council encourages P&Cs to include a preschool-kindy parent representative on their committee (or create a subcommittee of the P&C if the community are especially keen!). The role supports family involvement and engagement at school in the early years.
For guidelines on what this role might do, download the P&C 'preschool/kinder parent rep' role description template or, come along to our next online early learning meeting for assistance, information, and to talk with other parent representatives.
We know parents often look for ways to connect with the school and other families before the start of term. For first-time parents or relocated families, this can seem especially daunting. School P&Cs provide a friendly point of contact for new parents seeking to familiarise themselves with the new community.
P&Cs can also:
- Schedule a meeting with Council's early learning officer,
- Apply for funding or update a 'welcome' kit plan for new preschool/kinder families,
- Ask for assistance with design/editing and surveys,
- Download a Facebook invitation for parent rep volunteers, and an EL reference guide for parents of preschool and kindy children
- Attend Council's Early Learning Committee (meets each term)
- Provide multi-lingual resources to new parents about 'why play is important' (languages other than English): Arabic (PDF: 395kb), Dari (PDF: 398kb), Dinka (PDF: 308kb), Hakha Chin (PDF: 301kb), Karen (PDF: 216kb), Persian (PDF: 197kb), Simplified Chinese (PDF: 329kb), Swahili (PDF: 304kb), Tamil (PDF: 705kb), Vietnamese (PDF: 322kb)
The ELC supports parents to have an active role in their child’s early education and school community. The committee meets once each school term (usually online). Early Learning Parent Representatives (parent volunteers on Primary school P&Cs or Preschool Parent Associations) and the parents/carers of children attending public preschools or junior primary are welcome to attend.
Meetings: are usually online, every term, with our next meeting: Thursday, March 2 from 7.30-8.30pm. Register here to receive a meeting reminder and link to join.
For details of previous meetings see the ELC minute summaries.
Hear about what other P&C's are doing here '...at our P&C'
- Role of the Preschool Parent Committee or parent representative
- Council resources for parent associations
- Handing over well
- PPA's becoming a subcommittee of their Primary P&C Association