If you have a question about running your canteen which isn't covered below, please contact us.
Topics on this page:
Running your canteen - getting the admin and business-side organised
Promoting your canteen and foods
Food safety including food allergies
Learning from other ACT canteens - network, sharing expertise.
Running a canteen is a major undertaking. Luckily there is help available with the business and administative side of things:
- The ACT Canteen Business Essentials manual is a comprehesive guide to running your canteen. It will step your P&C through everything from regulations you need to comply with to information on finances, staffing, purchasing and putting together a healthy menu! Has loads of useful templates and sample documents, spreadsheets, surveys and more to.
- Council's Canteen Information Sheet
- Information on Canteen Deeds between P&Cs running canteens and the Education Directorate - our FAQ and the Directorate's Factsheet
- Sample Terms of Reference for your canteen sub-committee
- The Healthy Kids Association (HKA) provides extensive, authoritative support and advice for canteens. Council has paid the fees so that all P&C run canteens who wish to be so are members of this organisation. As members, P&Cs can access:
- phone assistance on school canteens (1300 724 850; Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm)
- online information on running a canteen
- and more.
See also our article on reducing waste from your canteen.
- Council Information Sheet on employing staff
- Sample Canteen Manager contract with notes and explanations (word document which you can modify for your canteen)
- Fair Work Ombudsman's calculator where you can check pay rates for employees using the relevant modern award (Fast Foods Award 2010)
- HKA also have information on employing staff including contracts and duty statements
- Council Information Sheet about Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) check - essential for all employees and most volunteers
- HKA information on recruiting canteen volunteers
Menu ideas and advice
- Food provided by canteens must comply with the Education Directorate's Food and Drink Policy. The Directorate have Factsheets on this.
- ACT Health have a fabulous Go For Green guide and now a short interactive online course which explains the Traffic Light System. The guide and course step you through the process of working out if your recipes are Green or Amber and how to improve them, and includes an extensive list of ingredients and their classification.
- Healthy recipes from Nutrition Australia
- More recipes from HKA. See also these fabulous healthy recipes with matching professional food pictures (for your newsletter or menu) and videos on how to make them look great.
- FOCis have information on Allergies and Anaphylaxis.
- Make your menu look more professional with the menu template and matching promtional items below.
- See also this article about Boosting the flavour in Green items.
Suppliers of foods meeting Healthy Food and Drink Guidelines
- Nutrition Australia's Nutrition Support Service now sell healthier burger patties and sausage rolls under their Betterbites brand.
Professional stickers to jazz-up your healthy options.
Menu and specials board Banners to match stickers.
All the information and tips canteen managers need to promote the canteen's food and drink (and boost sales!) is in a this guide - Marketing food at school: use the 5Ps.
Fabulous posters to print and display at your canteen. Each healthy message and image has been tested with students so we know they are understood and have a real impact on students choices! They come from a project with ACT Health and others in response to canteen feedback that many students were still prefering less-healthy options. Six dfifferent posters:
- Nutrition Australia run training courses a couple of times a year, qualifying canteen managers as nationally recognised Food Safety Supervisors
- ACT Health Protection Service have this useful Factsheet on food safety for schools and one for school canteens
The National Allergy Strategy has free online food allergy training for staff and volunteers working in schools. The 1-1.5hour course will help you understand more about food allergies and how to keep kids safe and covers managing allergies, communication tools, reading labels, and avoiding cross contamination of food allergens when preparing and serving food.
- Benefit from the expertise of other P&Cs through our Canteens Working Group.
- Be inspired by what other canteens are doing:
- working with the kids and specialists to face-lift a P-10 canteen
- two primary school canteens improving their food and the way their canteen promotes it
- fun dining spaces to make high school canteens more attractive
- a revolution for a non-financialy viable canteen
- how flexischools has streamlined one canteen
- Connect to others with a Facebook Group called Canteen Connect ACT for school canteen managers, support staff, P&C committee members and volunteers. It's a great place to ask your canteen-related questions!