A smooth transition to Preschool or to School is one of the best ways a parent can get their child’s education off to a good start. A child who is happy to go to school is a child who is an engaged learner.
Some very simple tips for parents include:
- Practise getting ready for school, packing bags, and remebering their hats!
- Be on time for school. Running late can cause unnecessary anxiety.
- Talk about what a day at school might be like.
- Be clear about the pick up arrangements after school.
- Visit your school in the lead up to day 1.
- Ensure your child is well rested.
- Check that your child can unpack, and unwrap their lunch simply.
These links will give you some great tips on how you can start gently preparing your child now for the transitions ahead.
Starting early education or childcare. This is an excellent resource for exploring the vast options available for children under five years old.
If you have a child who is very cautious about starting preschool, some great tips can be located via this link.
Healthy Families is a brilliant resource all about providing you with the information, knowledge and confidence to support the young people in your life.
The ACT Education Directorate have this great resource for families starting school.
This is a great clip to watch with your child. It's school children telling other children what a day at Kindergarten might look like. Watching this together will be sure to start great conversations about what may happen at preschool or school.