Some very simple tips for parents include:
- Visit your school as often as possible in the lead up to day 1 and try to connect with other families.
- Talk positively about starting school and read together every day.
- Practise getting ready for school, packing bags, and remembering their hats!
- Check that your child can unpack, and unwrap their lunch simply.
- Join your school's parent association to meet other parents, school staff and get involved.
- Talk about what a day at school might be like, there are many great books about starting school
- Ensure your child is well rested and try to be on time for school.
- Be clear about the pick up arrangements after school.
Parent Forum - Transition to School
Our 2019 Parent Forum heard from experts and educators on supporting families starting school.
Find out more about their advice in this article.
Or check out the forum Audio and additional resources for parents.