A child who is happy to go to school is a child who is an engaged learner.
Some very simple tips for parents include:
- Visit your school as often as possible in the lead up to day 1 and try to connect with other families - due to the Coronavirus there may be restrictions on parents entering school grounds - walk around the grounds when possible and enquire with the school to see if there's an opt-in online parent community.
- Talk positively with your child about starting school and read together every day.
- Practise getting ready for school, packing bags, and remembering their hats!
- Check that your child can unpack, and unwrap their lunch simply.
- Join your school's parent association to meet other parents, school staff and get involved.
- Talk about what a day at school might be like, there are many great books about starting school
- Ensure your child is well rested and try to be on time for school.
- Be clear about the pick up arrangements after school.
Remember, schools are getting ready for you too.