P&C reporting requirements

Your P&C must report to government on your activities and finances. The mechanisms are different depending on whether your P&C is a registered charity or not.

Is my P&C a registered charity?

If you are a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC), you will have received regular correspondence from them. You can also check whether your P&C is a registered charity by entering your association name (or part of it) or ABN into this ABN Lookup. Click through to your entry and see if charity status is listed for your association.

Reporting requirements for charities

  • After your AGM, complete an Annual Information Statement for the ACNC via their online portal
  • If there is a change to your Constitution, let and Access Canberra know (they will share the information with ACNC).
  • There is NO need to complete and submit an Annual Return (AR Form) to Access Canberra.

Reporting requirements for P&Cs which are not registered charities

If your P&C is not a registered charity:

  • After your AGM submit the Annual Return (AR form) to Access Canberra (formerly the Office of Regulatory Services). Attach your auditor's/reviewer's report and (for larger P&Cs) your Financial Statements (see Section 11 of Council’s P&C Treasurer’s Handbook). Note that there is no longer any fee for submitting this form if you do so within 6 months of the end of your financial year.
  • Changes to the Constitution, committee or public officer (during the year) must also be notified.