Is my P&C a registered charity?
If you are a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC), you will have received regular correspondence from them. You can also check whether your P&C is a registered charity by entering your association name (or part of it) or ABN into this ABN Lookup. Click through to your entry and see if charity status is listed for your association.
Reporting requirements for charities
- After your AGM, complete an Annual Information Statement for the ACNC via their online portal.
- Whenever there is a change to your Public Officer, let Access Canberra know using the Change of Public Officer Particulars form.
- If there is a change to your Constitution, let both ACNC and Access Canberra know.
- There is NO need to complete and submit an Annual Return (AR Form) to Access Canberra.
Reporting requirements for P&Cs which are not registered charities
If your P&C is not a registered charity, your reporting mechanisms have NOT changed:
- After your AGM submit the Annual Return (AR form) to Access Canberra (formerly the Office of Regulatory Services). Attach your audited Financial Statements. Your auditor must either sign this form or their report can be attached (see Section 11 of Council’s P&C Treasurer’s Handbook).
- Changes to the Constitution or to the committee (during the year) must also be notified.