How and where do I enrol my child at preschool?
ACT Public School Preschool enrolments for 2024 open April 30 2023. All enrolments are now managed through an online application system on the Education and Training Directorate web site.
Please click the following link for the most current information:
Education and Training Directorate Enrol
What age does my child need to be to start preschool in Canberra?
Children must turn 4 on or before April 30 in the year that they start preschool.
The ACT Government is introducing early childhood education for three-year-old children, with the aim of providing 600 hours per year of free, quality early childhood education for all three year-old children in the ACT.
What is a Playschool?
Independent Playschools are specifically designed to prepare three to four year old children for preschool. Playschools are unique to Canberra providing play based educational programs in a preschool style format. Session times and age groups vary. Please contact individual services for further information.
Read more about Playschools
What is a Playgroup?
Playgroups provide the space, resources, and support for babies and children from 0-5, (and their parents and carers) to play. Playgroups Australia is a not-for-profit organisation established to ensure parents or caregivers can access quality playgroups nationwide. In the ACT, parents can search for an existing playgroup on the ACT Playgroups website (playgroupact.org.au), or host a new playgroup where needed.
How do I get involved in my Parents Association or Committee?
The benefits of becoming involved in a (pre)school parent association vary according to the needs of the community. As time contraints rise for parents, effective parent networks help to facilitate communication. Contact your primary school P&C association to see if there's a preschool or early learning representative or a Preschool Parent Association (PPA). You may receive information in a welcome pack about the association's contacts. If required, contact Council to find your group contact or initiate a group.
We don’t have a parent committee anymore but I would like to be involved. What can I do?
I have never been on a committee before what do I do?
What are the different types of Committee Meetings?
A General Meeting
We have extensive information and templates to help you run your meetings well. The basic process for a general meeting of your PPA is outlined below.
- A date, time and place for the meeting should be set and advertised within the preschool community
- An agenda for the meeting should be circulated at least a week prior
- Check that your quorum is met in order to proceed (see your constitution).
- Previous meeting minutes should be approved at the meeting
- Work through the matters at hand in accordance to the agenda
- Set the next meeting date
- All preschool parents are welcome to general meetings
- Your constitution will stipulate how many meetings are required
- some preschools may prefer to meet after session time, the times should be set in consultation with your preschool teacher
Annual General Meeting (AGM):
- parent associations should hold their AGMs in February of each year to allow for a handover from the outgoing committee
- this is where the new parent committee is elected
See our AGM information sheets and checklists to make sure you are ready!
- the Executive of your association are the office bearers e.g. president, vice-president/cps rep, secretary, treasurer (as listed in your constitution)
- can be held prior to a general meeting if you prefer, saving another night out
Special General Meetings
- are rare and often require a special resolution to be moved
- this involves giving 21 days notice e.g. amendment to your constitution
My school and preschool are talking about the PPA joining the P&C. What should we do?
We are happy to talk to you about this process and the pros and cons - simply contact the office. Once you have decided on this path, see our guide to becoming a subcommittee of the P&C Association including templates for a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two associations and draft Terms of Reference for the Preschool Sub-committee.
What is an Annual Return form?
The AR is a form that needs to be submitted to Access Canberra immediately following your committee's Annual General Meeting (AGM). This form will update all required information in one go including your committee details. A full Audit statement needs to be attached to this document. If your PPA is a registered charity, there is a different process. We have more information on all your obligations for reporting to government.